April 28, 2009 by gacorley
Well, it’s official, I can’t go to Mexico:
It is with regret that the Office of International Programs at West Virginia University has decided to cancel the May 9 trip to Guanajuato, Mexico.
We will be in contact within 24 hrs with further details and with suggestions for alternative programs, both in Business and Economics and in Foreign Languages.
I’m sure most of you are aware of the situation involving the swine flu outbreak in parts of Mexico. This is the reason for this cancellation. Our hearts are with our friends in Mexico, and we wish them all the best as they face this difficult time.
Glad to have some kind of final word on this, but I still feel bad that I won’t be able to go. I have heard at least one person in the group say she might like to go even in the event of a cancellation, but I’d rather not — not because of fear of the flu — as I understand it H1N1 isn’t so dangerous if you get treated immediately. I’d just rather not risk being part of the spread. I feel for the victims — I hope that anyone currently afflicted can recover soon.
I suspect the final decision had a lot to do with this CDC warning
that just came out recently.
So, I guess I have to make some new plans for the summer now. Probably keep posting things here off and on (can’t just shut up for three months, people will forget me 😛 )